Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Saturday, May 15, 2004

Freakishly Weird

I was pondering today about putting up a few more links of worthiness. A few weeks ago I saw a TV report about a small Indiana town that was going to cancel their band program for students past the Fourth Grade. This community canceled their choir program last year. I didn't have a chance to comment as finals were approaching, but I knew I needed to put up something referencing the story and VH1 Save The Music. I figured since I was going to tinker a bit today that I would finally add the link.

Imagine my extreme surprise when I'm checking up on the blogs and Lawren just posted on the importance of music to students and referenced Save The Music! In an era where it seems we as a society are failing to teach children how to read, write, and perform math all the concentration goes to fixing test scores and rankings. We forget that children are more than machines that are supposed to add, spell, and comprehend the English language. Schools are where the children are supposed to become aware of the world around them. Music and art feed their imagination and their dreams. When we fail to dream we fail to aspire to be more than what we are.

Lawren had this to say: I will not be successful because of my talents IN music, but I will be successful because of my talents FROM music. Here, here Lawren!

I haven't played on a regular basis in 10 years now, but I have an old dusty horm upstairs. Perhaps I'll say hi to her later today after I polish a few mouthpieces.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.