Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Sunday, August 08, 2004

For The Love Of The Game

For an early August day with the temps in the low 80's and no humidity it couldn't have been a better day to play football on the unflooded tundra of Fishers field. For 2 hours there were ungainly throws, odd spins to juke the defensive, mistimed cuts, routes that failed, overthrown balls, hyperextended thumbs and arms, getting toasted by 2 steps, a fantastic offensive interception, and what appeared to be one hellacious accidental knee to groin incident in an attempt to catch the ball.

So we had fun!

The Good: I am getting faster with better endurance. I can keep pace with the person I'm covering. The Bad: if my man gets two steps past me, because I can keep pace with him I'm always two steps behind him. The hurt me bad; three times :-( The Ugly: I still don't have an athletic gene in my body. I guess I shouldn't complain too badly. I never played in any leagues as a child unlike most boys. I never even understood the basic set of rules until I taught myself the rules as a high school sophomore by observing the game from the bandstands. Given that lack of basic exposure from an early age I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself for my lack of vertical leap and proper catching technique. Although if I were 6'6" I would have been able to catch that one overthrown ball!

Time to keep working out and take a shower. Some Advil would be nice as well.

EDIT 8-09-2004: Some breakfest, another hot shower, and some Advil make me almost human this morning. Why does having fun make me so sore the next morning?

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.