Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

New Scents For The Jobhunt

Monday I wasn't called into a school to babysit the hellions our society produces. That is another post for another time. I enjoyed the time off because it allowed me to finally spend a few hours in one sitting to look for potential jobs. I went to about 25-30 websites of places that looked interesting to me. Note to webmasters: please put "Jobs" or "Employment" as a drop down menu or a button on your site. It was interesting to use Yahoo's search engine to find your open jobs when your own internal search engine failed!

Anyway I found a few job openings and I'll send plenty of resumes out soon. One placed wanted a packet of information. Not an uncommon thing, but they wanted transcripts. Since it was part of a generic form they used it didn't specify what type of transcripts, undergraduate or otherwise. I figured both types. I'm so glad I went to a school an hour away. By mail or fax the Registrar's office is notoriously slow in turnaround. In person they're quite speedy.

After lunch I drove up to ye olde undergraduate institute. Since transcripts are free I asked for 5. You never know when you might need to have a transcript handy so a small stockpile seems like a good idea. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Now began the hour or so drive back to downtown. Why is driving so exhausting? It isn't as if you're doing much work.

The law school provides one free voucher for transcripts. Otherwise it costs $7 per transcript. This is another reason why I'm not fond of the university. They really nickel and dime you to death. I decided on 3 transcripts because I only had a $20 bill on me at the time (1 free and pay for 2). It seems our student ID numbers have changed to something other than our social security number. A good idea for protection against identity theft, but I have no idea what this new number is. I had to look it up for the Registrar. Shouldn't the Registrar be able to look up my info? They have my name, birthdate, and a picture ID. It should prevent two different Bob Smiths from getting the wrong transcript. Whatever.

Now I have my stockpile of grades. Oh the joy. I wanted to work on the packet today after teaching, but my recalcitrant plumbing foiled that plan. Hopefully tomorrow I'll work on it. I need that real job soon.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.