Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Confessions Of A Windows Fascist

Every three years I almost get fed up enough with Windows that I contemplate switching over to some type of Mac from Apple. Last year was that third year, but I never felt the urge due to the fact I am a po' law student.

The problem with Macs were that I never knew how to run them as they're so different from Windows, they tend to be pricey, and Apple really discourages you from tinkering with their computers. Coming from a PC geek tradition I love tinkering with the hardware. Adding more memory, putting in a second hard drive, installing a new video card just so I could play a game were rites of passage. You went from dork* to geek when you could fling hardware around.

Now Apple has come out with those Mac Minis. A teeny tiny computer that is 6.5 inches on a side and 2 inches tall. Bring in your old keyboard, mouse, and monitor and you're all set. Okay they have to be USB versions, but adapters aren't that expensive. $499 to start with and double the memory for an additional $75. Pony up an addition $100 and you get more CPU power (*grunt* MORE POWER!) and double the hard drive space (80 GB). The reviews has been very impressive so far.

I don't have money now, but if I have a job by Christmas I'm almost tempted to try one out. I'll say this for Mac users, they really love their Macs! You don't get that passion from the PC side.

* Despite heavy lobbying efforts neither dorks nor geeks are a legally protected class yet for antidiscrimination purposes.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.