Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Just Do As I Tell You And We Won't Have Any Trouble.

For some strange reason people ask me for legal advice. I don't know why they do that. Perhaps it has something to do with the education and licenses I have. Regardless I do my best to answer their questions. I was asked what ended up being a very simple question. I remembered the answer from a class project. Proud that I didn't need to perform any research I stated the three very simple things required to get the results the questioner wanted.

Later I was asked a question: What if I do Action #4 will it fulfill Action #2?

It was very difficult to not reply: Did I ever mention an Action #4?

I provided the actual statutory code relevant to the issue. The code is naturally verbose, but I pointed out all that needed to be done to resolve his issue was: Perform Action #1, then perform Action #2, then finally perform Action #3. I pointed out no gray area existed in this.

I realize many legal problems have gray areas that must be researched. Yet when the problem is simple don't assume there is more to the issue. If I don't know something I'll admit it and attempt to find the answer. When I do know something I'll tell you exactly what you need to know. Your job is to just do it.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.