Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Cows Will Be Defeated In 12 Hours.

In about 12 hours the majority of Indiana will observe Daylight Saving Time for the first time in over 30 years. Normally I try to respect other people's opinions, but if you were against the idea of DST just shut up.

Only in this state would the issue of observing DST be such a big deal. Based on the vigor and emotion displayed by people you would think Armageddon was coming if Hoosiers springed forward and fell back twice a year. The upper quarter of this state, the part in the Central Time Zone, has observed DST for years. Did they implode over the past 30 years? No, well maybe Gary did, but that is for completely different reasons. 47 other states and most of the industrialized world observe DST. They seem to adapt fine.

The fight against DST was an example of willful obtuseness and stubbornness and the fact it became intertwined with a separate debate on what time zone someone should be in. We ain't never done it before so why we gonna do it now!!! I'm convinced the most passionate DST-haters were the same people who have 12:00 blinking on their VCRs. Am I going to be groggy the next few days until my body adjusts? Sure. Will it take me 5 - 10 minutes to adjust all my clocks. Sure. Do I even like DST? To be honest no as I feel it is a bogus concept in the first place.

I say we try Daylight Saving Time for a year and see how we like it. That extra hour at night might come in handy.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.