Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Questions For The Real World Attorneys

Aside from this woefully underpaying substitute teaching gig, I'm jobless. I'm licensed to practice law, but at this point I think I've forgotten what a complaint is. The Supreme Court is that really high court that dislikes settling cases right? My point is I need to be in the field I've worked nearly 5 years to get into.

Very few want ads exist in the area I wish to practice in. While want ads in general are rare I'm at the point now that I wonder if I should start answering any ad I think I'm qualified for. I was hoping to be in a field I liked. One reason I quit computers was I hated doing the job I was doing. I was bored beyond belief by continuously doing helpdesk. I may have to suck it up yet again to just finally have a job that will pay the bills.


Yet I'm keep hearing lawgeekgurl's words, "Your first job kinda defines you." Perhaps I shouldn't care about that. I tend to redefine myself every few years anyway. When you look at ye olde resume you see I had job growth all over the map. I should expect to transfer into a different area of law in a few years anyway. No job lasts forever. At least at that point I'll have some legal experience to work with.

Should I start looking into paralegal jobs? I hope I'm at least qualified for those, though I'm not certain what a paralegal actually does. Research legal issues, write things for attorneys, and general clerical duties? Sounds like law school, but I get paid instead of the other way around. Would an employer even interview me? Would they think I want to bail at the first sign of a job more appropriate for my degree? Don't translate the above as me saying I'm better than others. I'm not. When something needs to be done I'm a firm believer in the all hands on deck model. You do plenty of things on the job that might not be on the job description. Yet I went to law school to practice law or be in a job where a legal mindset is appreciated. I certainly believe I could do paralegal work, but would anyone give me a chance?

I need to see the day to day real world of lawyers. I need to see it soon.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.