Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, August 18, 2005

They Really Wanted That Attribute

*mope mode on*

You remember my cover letter? The job postings were from a large institution that requires lots of lawyers. I've had numerous contacts with that institution of my 3 years of school. I also figured I should apply now as large institutions tend to have inertia when it comes to personnel decisions.

One of the requirements listed was admitted to the bar. This is a problem for me and 600 other people who took the exam in late July. I figured if the decisions gears turned slow or if they could use a well trained helper to assist those real lawyers for a few months that it was worth my while to send in my resume.

I just got a nice letter from them today. They thanked me for my interest, but they really need licensed lawyers now, not people who only have a framed degree.

I hate this netherworld I'm in. Degreed, yet essentially useless to my chosen profession. Finding a temp position is difficult because I'm overqualified and they would be concerned with me wanting to find other employment later. Hello, that is the nature of a temp position. I refuse to apply to every ad in the job bank. I left a job to go to law school. I left a career I could no longer stand. It has to be about more than just money and being employed. I'm not looking for the perfect job, but I am looking for a place I'll feel comfortable. Certain areas of law and certain types of employers hold no appeal to me.

I need a temp job now so bad. I need enough to pay the bills. That way when I am licensed in a few months (fingers crossed) I can afford to be somewhat choosy. I refuse to be in the position of several classmates. They already have a job or one is waiting for them. Yet some aren't happy or know they will not be happy. Screw that. I don't demand perfection, but I need to enjoy the work I'll be doing. I need to find a reasonable fit somewhere.

If I'm lucky maybe some positions will still be available at that large institution in a few months. I can see myself there.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.