Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Monday, August 15, 2005

Sometimes You Just Can't Follow Their Advice

"Cover letters should never include the salutations "To Whom It May Concern," "Dear Hiring Partner," or "Dear Sir or Madam.""

I would really like to follow that piece of advice. I understand the reasoning behind it. However when the only contact information you have is a generic human resources email address it makes it difficult to follow that advice. I've looked all over their website to see if I could find out the name of their Human Resources Director, but it does not appear to be available on a public website. I know who it used to be 10 months ago, but that is no guarantee the same person is still in that position. Go with generic greeting or go with a possibly incorrect greeting, which is preferable?

I've also noticed how difficult it is to write a cover letter when six positions are open and you're interested in three of them. I need something more professional than "Hi, any of these three positions sound good to me."

Have I mentioned how much I hate job hunting?

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.