Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Friday, June 03, 2005

Who Are You, Who, Who, Who, Who!

INTJ is appearantly the answer for me. Introversion, iNtuitive perceptions, Thinking judgment, Judging. I took the Myers-Briggs as part of my job search through our Office of Professional Development. I would like find my results from the 1991 test I took to see how much I've changed, or if I've changed at all. Those results are around somewhere in the spare bedroom.

Looking at the results of the new test the office head was surprised I wasn't extroverted. No I've always been slightly introverted and if I don't know you I will come off as a bit cold or at least reserved. Once I know you a bit hey I'm a very gregarious extroverted person, but my thoughts tend to be inner focused hence the introversion score. Some of you know me pretty well, others don't know me very well, and some of you only know me from my words here. Feel free to comment on if you believe this is correct.

INTJ: logical, critical, decisive INNOVATORS of ideas; serious, intent, very independent, concerned with organization; determined, oftern stubborn. With introverted INTUITION as their strongest mental process, they are at their best when inspiration turns insights into ideas and plans for improving human knowledge and systems. They value
  • A restrained, organized outer life; a spontaneious, inutitive inner life.
  • Conceptural skills, theorizing
  • Planful, independent, academic learning.
  • Skepticisim; critical analysis; objective principles
  • Originality, independence of mind
  • Intellectual quickness, ingenuity
  • Nonemotional tought-mindedness
  • Freedom from interference in projects
  • Working to a plan and schedule
  • Seeing complexities, hidden meanings
  • Improving things by finding flaws
  • Probing new possibilities; taking the long view
  • Pursuing a vision; foresight; conceptualizing
  • Getting insights to reframe problems.

Careers often selected by INTJs include Archeitect, Attorney: administrator non-practicing, Computer Professional (been there done that), Lawyer: practicing, Manager: federal executive, Management Consultant, Scientist: chemistry, Lawyer or Judge, Photograher, Teacher: university, Psychologist, Social Scientist, Actor, Artist or Entertainer, Writer or Journalist (does Blogger count?), Engineer: all categories, Physician: all specialties, Manager: city, county, or state government, Rabbi, and Military Officer.

Here's the deal, I've already done some of these in some way. I went to school as a Physics major (scientist). I graduated with a Psychology degree (social scientist), obtained employment in various Information Technology jobs (computers), and now have finished three years of law school (Legal). If I meet the physical requirments I have no qualms about going into the military for JAG. This blog means I'm a writer. I mentor and teach others all the time and in every place I'm at. Im betting if I find that old test the results will be the same. At least I've lived the life my thought processes prefer.

That is the good news, but this is the ultimate question: how do I find a job that utilizes my skills and strengths? At least I have a very wide range of jobs that would satisfy me and not all of them are in the legal field. Unlike some of my compatriots I don't have to be a lawyer. I would like and prefer to be a lawyer, but I have no qualms about positions that make use of my law degree yet don't require me to practice law. The world is full of possibilities to me. I have to narrow my focus, but I like having a wide range of choices now. Some of my classmates focused on one goal, usually BIGLAW, and some will enjoy that world. Yet I fear others will burn out as they discover their personalities don't match the job they've chosen.

Perhaps they should have taken the Myer-Briggs exam?

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.