Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, March 03, 2005

No Longer Tempting Death

Throughout last semester the seatbelt receiver (the thing that the seatbelt actually goes into to secure you when the belt is used) in the Mighty Green Ranger slowly stopped working. First it took a few tries to get the receiver to click and accept the seatbelt. Then I had to use my car keys to pop up the button that releases the seatbelt so it would accept the seatbelt. Then I had use the car keys trick several times before it would accept the seatbelt. Then I had to try the car keys trick a few times while holding the receiver at a certain angle and then make sure I didn't lean forward at all so the seatbelt would stay connected. Changing radio stations and releasing the parking brake were things that I didn't want to do.

Finally I just gave up on using a seatbelt right before the semester began. I can do that here as anything licensed as a truck is exempt from mandatory seatbelt laws. I used a loophole in the law to do something that was unsafe, but not illegal. This is known as lawyering! FYI: I always advocate wearing a seatbelt as a safety issue, I just don't think it is the government's business to be my nanny. Laws don't protect us from stupidity.

I got the new receiver ordered last week. To install it means I would have to unbolt my seat out of the MGR, unbolt the old and worn receiver, install the new one, and reinstall the driver's seat. I could do this. It wouldn't be hard. It's just so friggin' cold lately and I don't have a garage! When the Ford dealership that had my part said labor would be only $25 I said I'll be in today!

The downside is I had to go all the way across town and then some to get to the Ford dealership that had my part. (Long story as to why it was there and not someplace closer to me.) The repair chief said it would be an hour and a half. I had my textbooks with me so I was looking forward to the study time. But you know me. I HAD to go into the showroom and see the pretty shiny toys. A new 300 horsepower yellow Mustang GT is very very nice. If only I had $26,000 to spare. If I had taken it for a test drive I'm not certain I would have come back! The Ford Focus is on the list of potential new rides when I decide to buy again. (Can I hold out to mid 2006 is the question?) Sedan or 5 door hatch, it is flexible, fuel efficient in this $2/gallon age, available with manual transmission, fairly roomy, inexpensive and not a bad ride. What the hell I had 90 minutes to kill.

Medium red, 4 door Focus ST with the 160 horsepower 2.3 liter engine. 5 speed stick, anti-lock brakes, power windows/locks, nice spoiler, 6 cd player, and MSRP of around $19,000. They didn't have a 5-door hatch with a stick for me to test. I used my hand to wipe off the frost on the windows. BRRRRRRRRR!!!!! The salesman and I kept getting stuck behind slow traffic, but I could tell the Focus was nimble and braked decently. I was #1 at the stoplight and light it up when the light turned green. Not as thrusty as a Chrysler 300C with a Hemi, but it had decent pickup and the shifter has a nice short throw action. That engine revved too easily. Very different from what I'm used to.

I explained to the salesman that I was a student WITH NO JOB and no income, but at the end he asked what it would take for me to take a vehicle out the door that day or the next few days. How about a job and money! As a graduating student I would be eligible for a $400 discount FYI.

I think I should set up a reality TV series. I arrange for my top 10 or 15 potential new cars to be in a fabulous mountain retreat and I test drive all of them back to back several times. The winner of the contest is the one I buy!

At least the Ranger is paid for and now the seatbelt works for the driver. Time to draft a semi now.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.