Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Indy Cultural Tidbit: Holiday Happenings

If you get done with finals early or want to take a break from studying several festive events are occuring throughout the town during the holiday season. Maybe they'll just put you in a better mood.

From the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra we have the Yuletide Celebration. Multiple performances on various days. I'm told it is a fantastic event. For tonight only they are also having a performance at the Scottish Rite Cathedral.

Dance Kaleidoscope have Home for the Holidays from Thursday Dec. 16 to Saturday Dec. 18 at the Pike Performing Arts Center. I've never been to Pike, but I hear it is a fabulous facility. I'm sorry they tore down the Civic Theater as it was closer for me to get to. HftH is doing "Let There Be Light" a celebration of the Jewish festival of lights, Hanukkah, and a multicultural perspective on the holiday season. Sounds pretty interesting.

The traditional Dickens classic, A Christmas Carol and other treats, are at the Indianapolis Repertory Theater up to Jan. 2nd.

Did you know that you can get to the observation deck of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument during the holidays? I haven't confirmed it this year, but last year it was open Friday through Sunday for a dollar or two. It is very tight up there (don't bring a stroller), but the view was breathtaking in the light snow when I went.

Along the same theme of good, if unconfirmed idea, the Observation Deck at the City-County Building has some holiday hours as well. I don't know what those are, but if you happen to be around go in and ask. 28 stories up is a very interesting view of the city.

Ice skating at the Pan Am plaza or the Pepsi Collusium at the State Fairgrounds. Last time I was on the ice was 4 or 5 years ago, but it is fun. Even when I do a flat spin as I fall down it is fun. Even when CAG laughed her ass off as I kept falling down it was fun. If you go and I happen to be there you may be a Three Stooges like performance out of me that is worth the rental fee alone. Whoop, whoop, whoop, thud!

After falling down you'll want to be in plush comfy seats. How about Santa vs. The Snowman at the IMAX theater? As you leave the State Musuem have a good brisk walk along the canal.

Go looking here and you're likely to find something interesting.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.