Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Friday, December 10, 2004

Intellectual Property Down

One final down, one take home and one monstrous T&E to go *shudder*. IP was my fun class for the semester. The "oh this sounds interesting" class for me. IP was also the one class that I kept up in for the most part. It was actually enjoyable to be in, a rarity these days sadly. The final wasn't easy, but it wasn't difficult either. It was rather tricky though. No large essays with huge fact patterns, but rather many small essays and short answers that were not worth a lot of points by themselves, but combined were the bulk of the exam.

An exam full of true/false, multiple choice, and short essays that are supposed to be 3 or 4 lines long is in some ways are more difficult exam. It forces you to be very specific. Sometimes you had a nice "In general" part of the question, but sometimes it seemed like such phrasing should be implied. If you're not in the legal profession and you're reading this blog trust me when I say this: the law very rarely can be boiled down to a true/false answer. Exceptions are rampant everywhere and the phrase "it depends" is one of the first things a lawyer will say.

I managed to show off an interesting test taking trick. The question was something like "Assuming Country Y follows the Rule, how does that change your answer to Part B of this question?" On Part B I said the most likely answer was G for the following reasons (showing your work is always important), but it could be H if the following fact is true. So for Part C of the problem I said that if Country Y follows the Rule it doesn't change my answer because of ... and even if the correct answer to Part B is answer H it still doesn't change my answer because of ... I showed my work and demonstrated why my answer is the same regardless of an unknown fact. Profs usually love to see the reasoning behind an answer more than the actual answer itself. Usually.

The final seemed okay and I never felt rushed. I simply worked the exam one question at a time in a very calm manner. Now if only I'll feel that way after Trusts & Estates.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.