Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Monday, October 11, 2004

Good Bye Superman


Christopher Reeve has been inspiring for decades. First he inspired millions by being the greatest comic book hero of all time. Later he inspired others with different roles. In the end he inspired us for his courage to fight the paralysis that crippled him.

The public persona of Christopher Reeve began as an ideal. A personification of the best qualities of us. The perfect hero that saves the day and meets the challenges of the world. In the end, that ideal hero came to personify the man in his fight to live and overcome his physical limitations.

But to me he is simply Superman, and don't you think I say that lightly. As a small child he inspired me to always do the right thing and to jump off the bed to achieve flight. When I was older he inspired me to help others, because you should always help others. And in strange coincidence, for the past month or so he's inspired me to continue on with all of my struggles as the extra strength I've needed lately.

I've been quoting Superman here lately or writing about topics that have the thematic elements espoused by Superman. With so many struggles of late the Superman DVD I bought a month ago goes in just so I can hear the John Williams score. If you're ever having doubts and feeling the weight of the world on you, just listen to that theme. Trust me, you will feel a new resolve to battle whatever forces of evil are befuddling you. You'll want to be better than what you were before.
They can be a great people, Kal-El, if they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son.
-Jor-El (Marlon Brando) to his son Kal-El/Clark Kent (Christopher Reeve) in the Fortress of Solitude- Superman: The Movie (1978)

Sadly Christopher Reeve's light has dimmed forever, yet Superman still shines brightly as the beacon to show the way. At least when I need him. I hope you can carry and inspire others as well as you've carried me for 26 years.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.