Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Friday, September 02, 2005

The Lost

The alternative school. An alternative in what way was the question I should have asked. It would be great if all children could learn in a normal school. That doesn't happen for many reasons. Sometimes you need kids diverted to a place with a tough-love philosophy. Each class would only have 10-12 students. That was the good part. Many of them were the worst of the worst in attitude though. Many would be in their own self-entertained world.

It was odd to observe the students. Many would be a teacher's worst nightmare. Shouting, foul language, only one fist fight occurred before I had a chance to intervene. Actually my neighboring teacher just happened to wander by and call out the fighters as I was busy writing on the board and answering two other questions. Yet others I wondered what they were doing there. One or two were helpful and wanted to assist with the work. A few others, while introspective and quiet, did what they were told, asked good questions, and never tried to disrupt class at all.

I felt very sorry for the pregnant girl. I was dealing with middle school students again, but when we chatted she spoke of being anxious to drive her car after her pregnancy. Middle school is normally ages 11, 12, and 13 I think. Driving a car is for older students obviously. Perhaps she had other problems than pregnancy to keep her in my class. To be so young and about to have the responsibility of a child is a mind-boggling thought. She was one of my best students of the day.

So many just didn't care. I told them I would deduct points if they didn't behave or do what I said. If they didn't get enough points over the day they had to stay after school. One young man would be forced to stay after school and miss his appointment with the probation officer. I remarked he'll likely be seeing my classmates in a few years for their services.

What a world some of them live in. I'm betting many of their home lives aren't the best. You hope the system can help as many as possible. Yet I felt with some we just warehoused them until they finally graduated or dropped out. The schools and teachers would put as many resources into these kids, but it isn't enough. What some need a school can never provide them. I don't know that it takes a village to raise a child, but it takes more than what many of us got. The reality is not everyone can succeed. I wish everyone would at least try.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.