Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, May 05, 2005

I Really Am Falling Apart.

No, not from the stress of finals, but my body is physically crapping out on me. Today started the fitness fair where participants pick up their Mini-Marathon race packets. It has a ton of free stuff, some equipment like numbers and timing chips, and other stuff. After you pick up your packet you get routed through the fair. Plenty of free stuff such as sugar-free Sobe Adrenaline Rush drink (bleh!), info on other races, swag, free visit to a podiatrist, and stuff to be sold to you.

First thing was a cool machine that analyzed my feet. You stand on it, in your socks, and the pressure your feet exert comes up as a color coded diagram on screen. My feet started to be displayed and the guy proclaimed, "Whoa you have some fairly flat feet!" Really? I didn't know. Naturally this leads into a discussion on new insoles for my shoes. I have to admit they are soft, squishy, and comfy now.

The free podiatrist bent my shoes and asked, "You're not really running in these are you?" My shoes are nice walking shoes, but it appears running shoes are supposed to be much stiffer across the middle to offer more support. I explained the numb foot and bad knee I had on Sunday and he stated that explained it. He suggested the next time I'm looking for shoes I should seriously consider proper running shoes. My feet are fine for the most part except for 'trauma toe.' I had no idea what I did to it years ago, but I thought it was something fairly normal. Wrong! When I get a job I may have a podiatrist look on trauma toe and get it fixed up. Oh yeah I could have some arthritis in my bum ankle too he explained.

The massaging sticks looked interesting, but I didn't spring for one of those. The big rubber balls that you exercise with were fun to demo with. I picked up a brace for my sprained ankle that is interesting. It is both neoprene and a gauss wrap.

I skipped the booth for the half-marathon in Chicago. Can we please see if I survive this one first? Training hasn't gone as well as I liked. With all these problems no wonder I've experienced so much pain. Discomfot is acceptable. This wasn't supposed to be easy. Pain and numbness on the other had aren't acceptable. I've never made it more than 6 miles in an actual run. No shame in the run some, walk some, run some more, walk so more strategy. With luck the extra bracing and insoles should do me good.

Okay I have flat feet, a trauma toe, possible arthritis in my right ankle and knee. I guess I'm out of warranty.

|
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.